Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The Necklace


A brief writing about a special object in my life from my senior year creative writing class in high school.

A storm was brewing rapidly as the clouds turned the marl tinted water a deep navy blue in an instant. The tides began pounding harshly against the boat and left a striped path of white foam that had a striking resemblance to the sailboat necklace that would come to mean so much to me. Clasping the necklace in my right hand I suddenly noticed a sailboat in the water a couple yards from mine. The boy on the other boat waved frantically for me to follow him as the storm broke loose with a large crack of lightning that ripped open the sky. I managed to gain full control of the wind crossing into the wind tunnel from Long to Columbia and followed him around the tiny yet fierce lake. We tied my boat up to his dock and quickly let down the sail that was flopping like a struggling fish gasping for water. He grabbed my hand and dragged me to shore under a few sappy pine trees. Pine needles fell softly next to me as I quickly checked to make sure the sailboat necklace was still safely around my neck. The boy watched me carefully as I clutched it once more in my hands. His curly blonde hair fell around his face, soaked from the rain, and his tanned skin seemed to glow even in the darkness of the storm. He introduced himself as Tom from the O’Connor cottage up the hill. I noticed he couldn't keep his eyes off of me as I rung out my sun-bleached hair, a gaze that was intense but as sweet as the scent of the flowers in the bed of needles next to me. We talked for a few hours until the storm began to let up and he finally asked to see my necklace. Handing it to him, I said he could borrow it if he wanted as long as I was to see him again soon. Smiling, he wrapped it around his neck and clasped it in his right hand. Little did I know that because of my necklace I would be spending more time than expected with the boy who saved me from navy blue waves.

Spring semester 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment